Subsea Oil & Gas
END-TO-END TOWHEAD LOGISTICS
ONSHORE AND OFF, WE OVERCOME ROUTING CHALLENGES FOR SUBSEA INFRASTRUCTURE
Offshore infrastructure always starts its life onshore. That means clients need an end-to-end logistics plan for delivering it, and that means working with multi-modal transport. Osprey’s teams create a phased plan that overcomes all the challenges, onshore and off.
Premier Oil needed its new towheads delivered against a demanding 7-month schedule. Using our own equipment for heavy lifting, marine transport, and overland shipment, we collected and moved them all to one location for final assembly before taking them offshore.
PHASED APPROACH, COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
- These logistics were planned in phases. First, we held a HIRA meeting with our client, at which a marine warranty surveyor helped us identify potential high risks. We mitigated them all, got the project documentation finalised, and the end-to-end logistics were signed off by the client.
- Next, we collected the individual towheads and transported them to quayside for load out. This part of the move involved getting permits, organising road closures, rerouting local traffic and over-bridging a weak rail bridge.
- We used our LG1750 crane to load the towheads onto one of our own barges, secured them, and got approval from the marine warranty surveyor before shipping up to Wick. This involved getting support from assist tugs, linesmen and pilots – we take responsibility throughout.
- On arrival, we ballasted the barge to a pre-determined draught, so that we could put conventional trailers under the towheads and RORO them off during a rising tide. This was repeated several times to get all of the assets into the client’s holding area, ready for transportation to the installation site.
- Each move to site took approximately 5 hours, but moving through the town of Wick gave us more challenges. We arranged road closures with minimum disruption, removed walls, lowered the lampposts and temporarily removed other street furniture, too.
- We also engaged with the local Scout Group. We explained what we were doing, and they helped us with a letter drop informing local residents.
- Finally, we moved each towhead along onto a ‘track’ at the site, to cross around 7km of rough terrain. For the client, this meant a much shorter journey and fewer risks in load out. The towheads were then lowered onto stools, ready for jacking and skidding out to the carrier pipe.
JOINED-UP APPROACH ENSURES SMOOTH OPERATION
By getting involved early on, we could scope and propose a phased logistics plan that handled several different environments.
For our client, Premier Oil, each one of those environments presented a unique set of challenges for the high value assets involved. Osprey’s approach to multi-modal logistics overcame all those challenges, delivering on time and on budget.
- Barge Transport
- Heavy Lifting
- Marine Logistics
- Project Management
"This project showcased our teams' application of ingenuity and expertise. A great testament to the Osprey Way of Working."Nigel Fletcher – CEO, Osprey
See us at work
More case studies
HPC – RPV installation
RPV DELIVERY - A STATIC, DYNAMIC SOLUTION
At Hinkley Point C, we've developed a RORO solution that delivers oversized assets to site in a new way - increasing productivity across the construction site.Find out more
Tintagel Bridge installation
Award-winning assets, innovation in action
The new English Heritage walkway at Tintagel is an award-winning installation. Our solution overcame many obstacles associated with overland delivery to this outlying location.Find out more
Problem-solving for Petrochem
Problem-solving for Petrochem
Minimal downtime for a petrochemical site is critical and our approach kept our operations down to a minimum.Find out more
PRIORITISING QHSE IN LOGISTICS
Osprey's QHSE team guides all we do
Ellie, one of our QHSE Officers, works specifically on specialist logistics for Hinkley Point C. This puts her at the heart of delivering nuclear success.Find out more
RESPONSIVE, RELIABLE PORT SERVICES
Vessel owners trust for Port Services.
RORO, breakbulk, containers, oversized cargoes – along with all the documentation, negotiable Bills of Lading, inventory-linked and non-inventory linked customs entries and supporting services.Find out more
RESPONSIVE CABLE SERVICES
Safely accelerating offshore project schedules
Knowing our equipment, having in-house expertise, if we can reduce the time taken to deliver a project - we will.Find out more
NETWORK RAIL, BEWSEY STREET
Jacked lifting solves location problems.
Rail bridges are often in challenging locations. See how we deployed our Enerpac JS250 system to overcome these problems.Find out more
HPC POLAR CRANE DELIVERY
Collaboration reduces risks and costs.
We bring multiple specialist logistics' partners together - a great example of this can be seen in the delivery of two Polar Crane Beams in to HPC.Find out more
UPGRADING M4 MOTORWAY BRIDGES
Reducing possession times.
Getting involved early and having the in-house heavy lift equipment to guarantee supply surety - it all makes a difference for projects of this scale.Find out more
HPC WORLD’S LARGEST STEAM TURBINE
Early planning builds efficiencies into logistics.
Through early contractor engagement and our repeatable Shared Services model, we reduce risks and costs in the delivery of critical assets to large sites.Find out more